Frequently Asked Questions



How do I check the status of my application with the Graduate School?

Applicants to Auburn University’s Graduate School may check their status online through the Online Application System.  Applicants will be able to check the status their official transcripts, test scores, and online recommendations via the Apply Yourself application module. They will need to contact the department directly with all the questions concerning departmental requirements as well as admissions recommendations and the time frame in which it will be made. The contact information for all departments can be found under the Areas of Study page.

How can I pay my application fee?

Applicants can pay online via Credit Card at the end of the application process.  The Graduate School accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover.  Applications and records will not be processed until the application fee has been received.

Below is a list of the current application fee exemptions:

  • Current Auburn University graduate students enrolled in graduate courses
  • Full-time Auburn University employees
  • Ronald McNair Scholars must submit a memo from sponsoring institution
  • Florida A&M Feeders Program — must submit a memo from Faculty sponsor
  • GEM applicants — must submit a copy of their GEM application
  • Active Duty Military — with a letter confirming duty
  • Applying for an approved dual program — the second application fee is waived

To qualify for one of the application fee exemptions, you must submit the required documentation to the Graduate School.

The Graduate School
106 Hargis Hall
Auburn University, AL 36849-5122

I am having trouble logging back in to my account.

Applicants were sent an email when they applied.  This email contained a PIN for use when signing in to check the application status.  Applicants should retrieve this PIN and use the password created upon initial account creation.  The password can be reset using the Reset Password Link on the Apply Yourself Sign-in page.

What is the institution code I use when requesting ETS to send Auburn University my TOEFL or GRE scores?

Auburn University’s institution code is 1005.

Where do I send my official transcripts?

Official transcripts should be sent to the Graduate School using the following address:

The Graduate School
106 Hargis Hall
Auburn University, AL 36849-5122

Official electronic transcripts from domestic institutions may be sent to

More Admissions FAQs


What awards are available from the Graduate School?

The Graduate School accepts nominations annually for a number of awards and grants. Check the Awards page for all available opportunities. All other funding is awarded by departments.

More General FAQs


As a graduate student, am I automatically enrolled in health insurance?

If you have an assistantship, you are automatically enrolled and will see the insurance charges and subsidy credit on your ebill.

If I already have health insurance, how do I opt out?

You may waive out of the insurance by completing a waiver form and submitting it AND a copy of the front AND back of your insurance card.

What is the deadline for turning in a health insurance waiver form, and where do I turn it in?

The deadline is the 15th day of class and all forms must be turned in to the insurance coordinator, 228 Foy Hall, or emailed to


How do I get on the graduation list?

Create a graduation application.  Look for the Grad Application icon on the MY ACADEMICS page of AU Access.Grad App Icon

When is the deadline for my graduation application?

You must file your graduation application by the end of the term prior to graduation.  For example, if you plan to graduate following the Spring term, you must file your graduation application by the end of the prior Fall term.

Please note that your graduation application will not be processed until you have submitted your Committee Selection form

The Grad Application system is located on AU AccessGrad App Icon

More Matriculation FAQs


What are the thesis/dissertation deadlines in order to graduate?

Refer to the Academic Calendar.

What are the requirements for graduating?

Please refer to the Master’s and Doctoral Checklists as well as the Approval and Submission Processes in the Thesis/Dissertation Guide.

What are the procedures for taking exams (general and final oral)?

All students should refer to the Approval Process section in the ETD Guide; master’s students should also see the Master’s Checklist and doctoral students should check the Doctoral Studies Checklist.

Where can I get help formatting my thesis/dissertation?

You can download samples and templates from The Electronic Thesis and Dissertation Guide. You can also browse approved theses and dissertations by department, major professor, and more at Electronic Theses and Dissertations.

Last modified: May 24, 2021