Learn about Assistantships/Employment. Many international students have teaching assistantships or other part-time positions on campus. Remember, as an international student, the terms of your student visa status only allow you to be employed on-campus.
If you have already been offered an assistantship: Please check in with your department to determine if any paperwork or further details are needed to begin your employment.
Language Requirements for Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs): International students serving as a GTA are required to submit evidence of satisfactory speaking skills (International Graduate Teaching Assistant Certification of Eligibility for Employment form), demonstrated with the following scores:
- 23 or higher on iBT Speaking Section
- 7 or higher on the IELTS Speaking Section
- 4.4 or higher on the iTEP Speaking Section
If minimum scores are not met, the student should successfully complete a course designed to improve oral communication skills of international teaching assistants. If you do not yet meet requirements for a teaching assistantship, you may be able to find an assistantship without the teaching component.
Resources to find on campus employment:
- Handshake is a resource offered by the AU Career Center. Use your AU login to create and account, then search for on-campus job postings.
- Check the Graduate School Assistantship Listings
- Inquire within your department about potential assistantship opportunities.