New Student Checklist
Online Student Checklist
Graduate School Staff
Graduate School Calendar
1. Activate Your Auburn University Access Account (AU Access) and email account. Your AU email is the official method of communication, so check it often.
2. Contact your Graduate Program Officer.
3. Make sure to have your final *official* transcripts sent from your undergraduate institution(s) to the AU Graduate School.
4. Complete the required Medical Information Form. Watch our short video on the AU Medical Clinic.
5. Enroll in health insurance, or provide proof of insurance to opt-out of the program.
6. Set up information for AU Alert.
7. Arrange for housing (see housing section under General Information).
8. Register for classes (once medical records hold is cleared):
NOTE: Register as soon as possible after you consult with your program director about course recommendations. Your e-bill will not be due until after the drop/add period of the semester is over (five days for fall/spring and 3 for summer), so do not hesitate to register early to ensure a spot in a course.
9. Pay tuition/fees:
See the Student Financial Services (SFS) website for more information about tuition & fees, e-bills, payments, and billing schedules to know when your payments are due, typically after the drop/add period has ended each semester.
10. Watch our short video on transportation options at AU. Then, get a parking pass or register your bicycle through AU Access > My Campus > Parking, and download the transit app to ride the bus.
11. Become familiar with campus resources (see Campus Resources section under Current Students).
12. Become familiar with Graduate School Matriculation Policies and Procedures.
13. Read the Graduate Student Handbook
1. Check in (international students only). See “Once You Arrive” section under International Students.
2. Watch our short video about how to obtain a new student ID, called a Tiger Card.
Watch our short video about transportation options at AU, and read the Transportation section under General Information for more details.
4. Join us for the Graduate School Welcome Event. See your AU email for details and registration.
5. Participate in your departmental orientation (where applicable).
6. If a teaching assistant, register for Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) Orientation hosted by the Biggio Center.
1. Choose an advisor.
You will work closely with your graduate advisor during your time at Auburn. If you are assigned an advisor, contact them through your department immediately. If you are given the opportunity to choose your advisor, begin to consider who you prefer to work with. To learn more about choosing an advisor, take a look at this helpful website.
2. Participate in Professional Development activities.
Last modified: July 22, 2022