Admission FAQs


Why don't I see Summer 2024 & Fall 2024 as application terms in the online application?

Please note: We are migrating to a new application system and therefore most summer and fall 2024 application terms are not an available option in the current application. We estimate these application terms to open in mid-October 2023. Please check this page for more updates.

What are the general admissions requirements for the Graduate School?

General admissions requirements can be found under  Admissions Requirements. Each program or department may require additional documents, such as specific test scores, a specific number of letters of reference, a writing sample, or a letter of intent/statement of purpose. Please see the program’s website or contact the Graduate Program Officer (GPO) for your program of interest.  

What is the deadline for the Graduate School and my program/department of interest?

International applicants should submit all required materials at least 90 days before the first day of class of the semester in which the student wishes to begin graduate study. Domestic students should submit all materials at least 45 days before the first class day. However, most academic units make admission decisions several months in advance. Thus, applicants should check with the department to which they seek admission to determine when materials should be submitted. Check the contact information for your department of interest.

How can I pay my application fee?

Applicants can pay online via Credit Card at the end of the application process.  The Graduate School accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover.  Applications and records will not be processed until the application fee has been received.

Below is a list of the current application fee exemptions:

  • Current Auburn University graduate students enrolled in graduate courses
  • Full-time Auburn University employees
  • Alabama HBCU applicants from the following schools (first 300 received per year): Alabama A&M and Alabama State Universities, Concordia, Miles, Stillman and Talladega Colleges, Oakwood & Tuskegee Universities – submit copy of school ID
  • Ronald McNair Scholars – must submit a memo from sponsoring institution
  • Florida A&M Feeders Program – must submit a memo from Faculty sponsor
  • GEM applicants – must submit a copy of their GEM application
  • Active Duty Military – with a letter confirming duty
  • Applying for an approved dual program – the second application fee is waived

To qualify for one of the application fee exemptions, you must submit the required documentation to the Graduate School.

The Graduate School
106 Hargis Hall
Auburn University, AL 36849-5122

How do I check the status of my application with the Graduate School?

Applicants to Auburn University’s Graduate School may check their status through the Online Application System to ensure all materials are received, such as official transcripts, test scores (where applicable), and online recommendations via the Apply Yourself application portal. Applicants should contact the department directly with questions concerning departmental requirements, recommendations, and admission decision timeframes. 

NOTE: Applicants may upload unofficial transcripts at the time of application for review. The status of the application will continue to display “incomplete” until official transcripts are received from all institutions previously attended. An admission review and decision can be made from departments with unofficial transcripts. However, once admitted, the applicant that accepts their admission to Auburn University MUST have official transcripts sent from all previous institutions in order to be fully admitted and clear transcript holds, which prevent course registration. 

When an admissions decision is made by the program, applicants are then notified via an auto-generated email (sent to the applicant-provided email address) requiring the applicant to log back in and view the decision. This email is sometimes filtered out as junk/spam, so check all email folders. For admitted applicants, an admission letter is available for viewing and downloading (in PDF), which contains necessary information such as a student ID number and email setup instructions. 

Applicants recommended for admission can then accept or decline any offer of admission in the online portal. If an applicant accepts the offer of admission in the online portal, then a series of business processes begins, and newly admitted students will begin receiving instructions to their Auburn University email account. Official transcripts will be required of all applicants who accept the offer of admission.

I am having trouble logging back in to my account.

Applicants were sent an email when they applied.  This email contained a PIN for use when signing in to check the application status.  Applicants should retrieve this PIN and use the password created upon initial account creation.  The password can be reset using the Reset Password Link on the Apply Yourself Sign-in page.

Where do I send my official transcripts?

Transcripts must be issued directly by the issuing institution to the Auburn University Graduate School. Auburn University transcripts will be requested for you. Failure to disclose all coursework and/or degrees will result in the admission offer being rescinded. 

Official transcripts should be sent to the Graduate School using the following address:

The Graduate School
106 Hargis Hall
Auburn University, AL 36849-5122

Official electronic transcripts from domestic institutions may be sent to

Whom should I contact with questions specific to my program of interest?

Please contact the Graduate Program Officer for your program of interest.

May I review my application materials if I am not admitted to the university?

It is the policy of the Graduate School to not release application materials to applicants who do not enroll as students of the university.

What if I am unable to arrive for the start of the semester and want to defer my admission term?

With department approval, you are eligible to defer from one semester up to one year.  An email request should be made to the department to which you are admitted.  The contact information for all areas of study may be found on the Areas of Study page.  This request should contain the reason for your deferral along with the term you are wishing to defer to. The department must approve the request first and then forward to the Graduate School for processing.

What is the institution code I use when requesting ETS to send Auburn University my TOEFL or GRE scores?

Auburn University’s institution code is 1005.

What is the institution code for GMAT?

A list of codes by program can be found under Admissions Requirements.

What are the minimum scores for TOEFL/IELTS, GRE, and GMAT?

Minimum test scores:

TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language

550 on the paper-based test (pBT),
213 on the computer-based test (cBT)
79 on the Internet-based test (iBT)
Additionally, successful applicants must score a minimum of 16 on all sections (listening, reading, speaking, and writing) of the iBT.

IELTS – International English Language Testing System

6.5 overall band score.


Please contact the department for their minimum requirements. Departmental contact information can be found on the Areas of Study page.

Under what circumstances can I be exempt from the TOEFL?

TOEFL exemptions are made on a case-by-case basis, depending on your official government language and medium of instruction. Applicants who have received a degree from an accredited U.S. institution may also be considered for this exemption as well as those who received a degree delivered in English.

Last modified: September 18, 2023