Internal Complaint Process for Students

Federal regulations require the University to provide contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency and with its State approval or licensing entity. Individuals may file complaints regarding a violation of state consumer protection laws, including but not limited to fraud and false advertising; a violation of state law or rule relating to the licensure of postsecondary institutions; and/or complaints relating to the quality of education or other state or accreditation requirements.

Individuals who wish to submit these types of complaints regarding the graduate or undergraduate educational program at Auburn University should first address complaints to:

Dr. George Crandell
Associate Dean
Auburn University Graduate School
104B Hargis Hall
Auburn, AL 36849
Telephone: (334) 844-4700
Fax: (334) 844-4348

The University expects that any student complaint will be filed in accordance with University procedures currently in place at the institution before resolution is sought from the University’s accreditation body.  In order to facilitate an effective response, initial complaints should include the complainant’s full name, address, and contact information, including email and telephone number.  Complaints should specify enrollment status, i.e., whether the complainant is a current, former or prospective student.  The description of the complaint should include dates and University officials that were involved or who have been contacted.  Any supporting documentation, such as emails or other correspondence, should be included in order to help others understand the events leading to the complaint.  The complaint should state what, if any, remedy is sought.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Commission on Colleges is the recognized regional accrediting body in the eleven U.S. Southern states, including Alabama, for those institutions of higher education that award associate, baccalaureate, master’s or doctoral degrees.  Information about how to file a complaint with SACS is available at: or an individual may contact:

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
Phone: (404) 679-4500; Fax: (404) 679-4558

Individuals wishing to file a complaint regarding a consumer-related issue, may contact the Alabama Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Hotline at 1-800-392-5658, or may refer to the following website to file an online complaint:, or may contact the Attorney General’s Office of Consumer Protection at the following address:

Mailing Address:
Post Office Box 300152
Montgomery, Alabama 36130
Physical Address:
501 Washington Avenue
Montgomery, Alabama 36104

Federal regulations require the University to provide contact information of state agencies that handle complaints against postsecondary education institutions offering distance learning or correspondence education within that state.  Students are encouraged to first use the University’s Internal Complaint Process outlined above prior to filing a complaint with a state agency or agencies.

For a list of contact information to which a distance education student residing outside of Alabama may file a complaint for each state, visit the State Authorization of Distance Education page on and click “SHEEO State Authorization Survey and Reports,” and click “Student Complaint Process, by state” to download the most recent PDF. In the alternative, if you are a distance learning student and reside outside the State of Alabama and have a complaint and would like to contact the appropriate agency in the state where you reside, click on your state for information on where to address your complaint.

Silhouette of Samford, Hargis, oaks, with tiger, eagle